Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, January 10, 2011

Gwen Murphy - Foot Fetish


Artist Gwen Murphy turns old shoes into works of art by giving them faces. She uses ash clay and acrylic paint to create those bugged-out eyes ,dreary lids, pouty lips and long faces.

"I see a shoe as a kind of fetish, because it has a presence and the power to protect and transport us. Since I was a very young child, I have looked at shoes and found them looking back at me, each pair with its own personality and facial expression. When shoes are lined up near a door or in a closet, they are trusty steeds waiting to serve. Mouths yawning open, they sometimes look sleepy or grouchy. Sometimes they look like they are singing. They are like a better species of beings made entirely of pairs of identical twins. This series of sculptures is my way of bringing forth the presence I see in each pair of shoes."
– Gwen Murphy








15 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Veronica, these are crazy cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the red high heels and the saddle shoes best. It amazes me how inventive some people can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, these shoes with faces look kind'a scary. I don't think I could ever put on my shoes the same way again. I'd feel like I'd be stepping on someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spoken like a true artist. I will never see shoes in the same light again. Maybe I'll go sculpt some faces in mine now.
    You find the greatest photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are a little creepy. I hope she never ventures into Robeez or Pedipeds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok , these would totally scare the crap out of me LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah - they're good but a bit freaky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how funny and .........strange!

    ReplyDelete