Sharing this lipsmackin' recipe from my Vietnamese friend. The flavour of the meat is very subtle, very delicate. Mmmmm!
Braising meat in *coconut juice allows the meat to absorb all its sweetness, lending a unique flavour to the dish.
*the liquid found in young green coconuts, plucked from the tree before they mature (not to be confused with coconut milk)
500 gm pork ribs
2 tbsp sugar
1 cup coconut juice
1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sesame oil
Toasted sesame seeds
1. Marinate ribs for 1 hour
2. Caramelize sugar in 1 tbsp of oil
3. Add ribs, stir until they are well coated with the caramel
4. Add in coconut juice, and enough water to cover the ribs. Bring to the boil. Lower heat and braise until meat becomes tender (about 30 mins)
5. When the liquid is reduced, stir the ribs until they char lightly on each side.
6. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with rice