Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Mussels In Brussels

Moules-frites or mussels and fries is a serious classic Belgian dish you can find in just about any café or brasserie in Brussels. Those steaming black pots of brimming mussels, served with a side of fries are Belgium's national pride.

When our tour guide announced that a Moules-frites lunch in Brussels was the highlight of our day trip to Belgium, I wasn't exactly thrilled. I have a mussel phobia and blame the aversion on a rogue mussel in my ramen many years ago. Mentioning this gives me stomach cramps.
Steamed mussels with a side of fries
Lunch At La Rosa Roja



When we were seated in the restaurant, I told the hubs no way was I going to eat those bottom-feeders. That was...... until steaming pots of mussels appeared on our tables and the mouthwatering aroma of butter, celery and leeks wafted through the room. Everyone was oohing and ahhing! My tour buddies heartily dug into the meal.

I relented...
Slurping the plump, juicy, flesh out of their shells and broth was a mussel experience like no other! The mussels and fries complemented each other perfectly and if you ask me, steamed mussels and fries go together as naturally as burgers and fries in the US and as fish and chips in the UK.

Moules-frites are a match made in food heaven! And it's no wonder Belgians are the world's biggest mussel eaters!

l
Moules-frites are a menu staple for all seasons but we were told the mussels are the freshest during the months that end with ‘er’ — from September until December.



While observing the locals eating their mussels, I realized we were doing it wrong!

Here's the Belgian way.

Step 1 - Suck out the flesh from the first pair of shells.

Step 2 - Use the empty shells as tongs to pick out the flesh from the others.

No utensil required!



I think mussels are back in my life once again!

Musings Of A Tired Mummy

36 comments:

  1. I will always remember the time I tried mussels with fries in Belgium. I found it such a funny combination but then I saw that it really worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy. I had a dozen of them. Thank you very much.

    What a lovely memory.

    Have a great day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mussels and those look incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had mussels. I'm not sure I could be sophisticated enough to eat them, LOL. They do look good and I am glad you decided to give them a try!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good, I can imagine how wonderful it tasted. Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They really are delicious! I’m glad you found that out .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I could do it!! My stomach turns at the sight of them, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of anything better than mussels in Brussels! I love moules frites! There is a Belgian restaurant in Philadelphia that we sometimes visit to get out mussel fix, but the best one we have discovered in the states is in Richmond, Virginia! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mussels although when eating shellfish you do have to make sure that you're getting it fresh and cooked properly. #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm. I'm still not sure I could bring myself to try them--even after reading this post that makes them sound so delicious-- but I could go for the fries. I love fries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make it sound out of this world but I've never been a mussels fan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LQQKS delicious I do like mussels

    Have a shelltastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look scrumptious and your description has me salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit I have never tasted mussels, they always look a bit like aliens from another world, which of course they are! Maybe if I ever visit Brussels I will be brave enough.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love mussels, and that dish looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you had a wonderful experience here!
    Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/09/a-visitor.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...I've had Little Neck Clams, but never mussels. The video was very interesting, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't do mussels or oysters....the texture gets me. I am glad you liked them, though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We're not big seafood lovers.. I like shrimp.. but I've never tasted clams or mussels.. don't like sushi either.

    ReplyDelete
  20. it looks delicious and for sure it was perfectly done :) nice to see you had lovely day in Brussels :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my soon would love to sit down to that bowl of mussels! I have never eaten mussels from the shell. THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those look delicious! Love mussels! Never tried them with frites!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  24. O mossels! Lekker. (delicious with salt)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the title! And, more great photos with interesting text! I always learn something. Thanks for linking on Amanda's Books and More.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like you had a wonderful time. Great captures of the experience.

    Thanks for your link on 'My Corner of the World'! It's lovely to see you this week!


    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing your visit here with us and thank you for hosting such a wonderful Post. I personally don't think I'll ever get to your neck of the woods, but because of you, I feel like I've been there and so many other nice places too! Thank you so much, my sister, from another mother. ~hehehe~ WoW I feel special! Big hugs and have a great evening! Love you Post! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never had them and at first thought I'd say I wouldn't be a fan. Maybe if they're done right though lol! Glad you had a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I do love mussels especially with some garlic bread X #bloggerclubuk

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love clams, but have never eaten mussels. #trafficjamweekend

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for linking up at the #GatheringofFriendsLinkParty 6 Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  32. We use the first shell to pull mussels as we eat also! #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  33. I can't say i've ever really tried Mussels. Your pictures do make them look delicious though. #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love muscles so much! I should try making them again.

    ReplyDelete