Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Eiffel Tower

 I spent all my life dreaming of visiting the Eiffel Tower one day.

When I caught my first glance of the structure in the distance under a grey sky one March morn, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. That was when I really knew my dream had come true!

Can you believe that this tower was supposed to be demolished twenty years after its construction?

The  Iron Lady was built for the 1889 World Fair to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Prise de la Bastille (the storming of the Bastille).
Inaugurated in 1889, the tower was originally designed to be up for only twenty years. Furthermore, the Parisians and artists of that time hated it, describing it as “useless and monstrous”! They even started a petition for the tower to be dismantled.

Gustave Eiffel did not want it to be destroyed, so the tower was given a new purpose and turned into a huge radio antenna. The French military was then able to send and receive wireless messages. One can say the Eiffel Tower was of great value during WWI.


The tower grows 6 inches taller in the summer (due to thermal expansion) and shrinks in the winter!

It has be to repainted every seven years (by hand)!
 7300 tons of iron!

The ticketing office
No sign of the notoriously long lines as expected. Maybe it was because of the shoulder season.

Security is tight at the tower. You have to go through 2 security check points before you are allowed in. The second check is just like going through the x-ray machine at the airport (moving belt with trays where you have to place your bag). Keep a close eye on your bag, The belt moved faster than the people in front of you (while we were there), so your bag may have gone through but you were still stuck behind people and had to wait to get to it.

We took an elevator to the 2nd level of the tower


Click on the photo and zoom in. Can you see the Arc de Triomphe?


Statue of General Joffre

Everything in Paris is stylish!! Even the trees! Notice how the trees are pruned top-to-bottom in a square fashion.

The tower at night

Dreams do come true!

26 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a dream come true. I'm so happy you got to do this. Great shots.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to be able to see that!! It's on my bucket list. My daughter saw it when she studied abroad...and it left an impression on her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is impressive with the lights at night! Great picture you took Veronica. I learned some new facts about the tower. I didn't realize it was a radio antenna and I didn't know that it shrank and grew depending on the season. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to paint it every 7 years! Glad you were able to see it in person! I'm sure you won't ever forget your first thoughts of actually seeing it in front of you!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! And along with your great photos I learned much. It makes sense about it 'growing & shrinking'...hot & cold & expansion...just like highway bridges with expansion joints for the very same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was just there in May. Our third visit to Paris, but I never get tired of seeing the Eiffel Tower! It is a magical sight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear you were able to see the Eiffel Tower you had always dreamed of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We visited the Eiffel Tower last year with my family, parents, and sibs. I never expected it to look that huge. Thanks for sharing that trivia! #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I ever make it to Paris, the Eiffel Tower is the first place I want to go. Lovely post - thanks for the history!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I am jealous heheh! what a nice post I enjoyed it and all the photos :-)

    Have an eiffeltastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing. #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt the same way when I finally got to see it too! Sadly, the only day we had time to go up in it it was so cloudy we could not see much at all. But to this day I love anything with the Eiffel tower on it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have been and I would love to return. My youngest has not visited France, so we must return!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's wonderful. I'm jealous....maybe one day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your post! I learned some fun facts about the Eiffel Tower while reading it. And also I felt the same way upon seeing the Eiffel Tower the first time. It's majestic and breathtaking. I love Paris. <3.

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing views you captured! I'd love to go up there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen it twice but never been up there. I love it in lights. Iconic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We were there just last week too! On Thursday! We did not go up (since I had done that before but we took pics of all the kids from the trocadero then walked to the base. It was a busy day viewing all the sights using train, buses and metro!
    www.chezmireillefashiontravelmomo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you got to see the tower and realize one of your dreams. Hubby and I visited the Eiffel tower last September but didn't get to go up in it. I would love to go back to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The view looks beautiful. It is my dream too to see Eiffel Tower. Loved reading about it. It must be quite a task to hand paint it every seven years.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fells like hugging you! Super happy to know that your dream does come true! I have visited this very spot so many time, as I see coming back bring my mom, aunts, cousins, family and friends to this Tower while I was in Geneve. Even for me, whenever I come and visit Paris, I still get goosebumps too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so glad that your dream came true, it looks so gorgeous!!! #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such amazing views you captured there! It has been my dream to visit Eiffel Tower one day. I am so glad your dream got fulfilled. It must be a fantastic feeling!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing your adventures on Farm Fresh Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the photos! I'm so jealous of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete