Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Belgian Waffles??

WARNING!!!  WAFFLE OVERLOAD!!!


In Belgium, waffles are either rectangular or somewhat oval in shape! And there's no such thing as a Belgian waffle! Belgian waffles are actually American waffles!  Confused? Read on ...

So, turns out there are 2 types of waffles in Belgium – the Brussels waffle and the sweeter Liège  waffle.

So how do you differentiate the two?
Firstly, the shape. The Brussels waffle has a rectangular shape; it is larger, lighter and fluffier with deeper square grooves made from yeast-leavened batter. The  Liège waffle is smaller with rounded edges; it is thicker and more doughy with chunks of sugar in the batter that caramelize as it cooks. The result is a more dense, chewy waffle with golden clusters of sugar baked right in.
image source - yelp.com

HISTORY
Originally showcased in 1958 at Expo 58 in Brussels, Belgian waffles were introduced to North America by a Belgian named Walter Cleyman at the Century 21 Exposition in Seattle in 1962, and served with whipped cream and strawberries. The waffles were further popularized in the United States during the 1964 New York World's Fair at Flushing Meadows Park in Queens, New York City. These waffles were introduced by Maurice Vermersch of Brussels, Belgium. Largely based on a simplified recipe for the Brussels waffles, Vermersch decided to change the name to the Bel-Gem Waffle upon observing that many Americans could not correctly identify Brussels as the capital of Belgium.These waffles were served with whipped cream and strawberries, and they were sold for a dollar.

source - wikipedia


Oodles of toppings. Chocolate? Caramel? Nutella? Fresh fruits with whipped cream?
And yes, no maple syrup!!!


More toppings, more money!!
You will probably be drawn in by the 2€ sign , only to walk away  6€ poorer. The  2€  price is for those with powdered sugar only!!


No, Belgians don't have waffles for breakfast! Waffles are eaten around the clock as snacks. They are a popular street food.



Those deep grooves are perfect for holding pools of sauces!!
Brussels waffle


VERDICT?

We tried both the Liège and Brussels and the Liège was the  hands-down winner. Personally, I preferred the  Liège plain –  the toppings overwhelmed the flavor of the waffle. The pearl sugar-studded Liege waffle was perfection itself.



Musings Of A Tired Mummy

20 comments:

  1. EEK! I do not have a sweet tooth, so those do not look good to me. They all look like they are waayyyy too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I wouldn't know which ones to choose! They all look so delicious! And that they seemed so readily able to purchase would definitely be my downfall!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could go for one...large, with confectioner's sugar. I never cared for syrup, so I'm not losing out any.

    All looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing place :) I love waffles :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, Waffle Heaven!! They all look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would go nuts with all that wonderful food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want one of each heheh! brilliant displays :-)

    Have a waffletastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word, overload, overload ... I would prefer the plainer ones myself! #AnythngGoes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I DO have a sweet tooth and I think I just gained ten pounds looking at those! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd be in heaven with any of them. I love doughnuts, waffles, and any other breakfast goodie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was looking up a recipe for the Liege waffles with the pearl sugar. I am so glad I saw your post about the differences. Haven't been able to find Pearl sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness! I'd never have thought to put all that stuff on a waffle! I tend to agree with you - it would be a challenge to taste the waffle amidst all the toppings!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/07/color-guard.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not a fan of sweet things for breakfast. Okay, I'm not a fan of pancakes or waffles. Sure is pretty all the colors.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen a waffle bar like that, now all I can think about are waffles and toppings. A little off the sugar chart, lol. I can actually smell a freshly made waffle now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Liege Waffles are one of my favourite desserts. They're yummy all over the world but they always taste especially good when you eat them in Belgium. #AnythingGoes

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will never forget the delicious Belgium waffles we had at the World's Fair. My grandma took us almost every week and we almost always had a waffle with powdered sugar. I have not had any Belgium waffles anywhere that have even come close to replicating that crunchy on the outside, airy and light on the inside, deliciousness. I have Belgium on my bucket list just to eat yummy waffles and now I know where to get them! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely LOVE waffles and would have hurt myself trying to eat all of these! #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  18. The things I learn on blogs! I do like a waffle now and then but had no idea they were street food.
    I would have to try lots of those on display and then regret it later!

    It's great to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!
    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have passed out on a sugar high, lol. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's best. I love your travel posts, I learn so much.

    ReplyDelete