Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, March 16, 2018

Devil Curry

Debal Curry, a quintessential *Eurasian dish is The Hubs' favourite curry. It is also my favourite recipe to bring to a potluck 'cos I always come home with an empty bowl and lots of compliments! It's like bringing a rum cake to an AA meeting! There's nothing sorrier than leaving a potluck with a plate that is still three-quarters full, don't you agree?
Debal curry is unique to Malaysia and Singapore and is usually made on Boxing day with the leftover meats from the previous day's Christmas feast.  In Creole-Portugese, Debal means  leftovers.  I am guessing that this dish might have been coined Devil Curry because it is laden with chilies and therefore fiery hot.

*Eurasian - A person of mixed European and Asian ancestry.

Many Eurasians in  Malaysia and Singapore  trace their roots to the sixteenth century when Portugal conquered Malacca. Marriages between the Portuguese men and the local women of Chinese, Malay and Indian descent led to a thriving Eurasian community.

Sharing my late Godma's recipe.


DEVIL CURRY

INGREDIENTS
600 gm chicken/pork cut into bite-size pieces
1 onion, quartered
1 tomato, quartered
1 green chili, seeded (optional)

INGREDIENTS TO BE GROUND
6 dried chilies
10 shallots
3 cloves garlic
1 thumb-size ginger
2-3 thin slices fresh turmeric
1 tsp mustard seeds
3-4 tbsp vinegar
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp prepared mustard
2 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
1/2 cup water

METHOD
Heat oil in pan. Fry ground ingredients until oil separates. Add meat, carrot, onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer for 25-30 mins or until meat is tender. Set aside for 30 mins before serving. Better still, refrigerate overnight if you can resist eating the curry right away as this will allow the flavours to mellow. Devil curry always tastes better the next day!

Have you ever brought a dish to a potluck that nobody ate??

ethannevelyn.com

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

28 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful dish. I would love to try some because I like spicy food. Sounds like this is a bit more than spicy though.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I have tried curry a few times and just don't like it!! I once brought a bread pudding to a party and no one knew what it was and only one person tried some. That's Ok... more for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great.. always love something good and spicy

    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your analogy about the rum cake! Dang, it must be amazing! I posted it on Twitter and Facebook! Thanks for linking on #MyPostMonday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Mahdavi is from India and always talked about spicy foods and how bland American food is. This looks delicious. Thank you for sharing! Teresa from NanaHood.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom hates curry. I don't know how she can hate it! I love it! Thanks for sharing the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that looks tasty yes I will accept your invite for dinner thank you LOL :-)

    Have a spicytastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the name and will definitely try this recipe #WordlessWednesday

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a delicious dish! We love a good Curry here too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! Something I'll have to try making, we love curry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to admit, I have never had curry. Unfortunately, I can't do spicy either. But it sure does look good. Loved reading about the tradition too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's a lot of chilli in Devil Curry and that makes it hot - like Hell!

    And, meat is red, I guess that's why it's called Devil Curry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoo I love curry. This looks tasty :) Thanks for linking up to the Wednesday Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks lovely and tasty but possibly too spicy for me! I'd have to reduce the number of chillis

    ReplyDelete
  15. SOunds delicious, I do love a good curry x #fabfridaypost

    ReplyDelete
  16. This loooks really tasty, and it's popularity obviously speaks volumes. It might be a bit spicy for me, I only manage very mild curries, but I'm sure my husband would certainly enjoy it. Thanks for sharing it with #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing - I do like a good curry! Every time I make it I wonder why I don't make it more often! Will have to give this one a try. x #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aaah the hotter the better! This is my kind of dish! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is right up my alley. I love curry of any sort. I like spicy food. The hotter the better! I like the originality of where this curry come from. It is very interesting and I've learnt a new work today: Eurasian. Your GodMa's recipe looks sound delicious! I could kill for a curry right now! lol!

    Thank you very much for linking up with us on #FabFridayPost

    ReplyDelete
  20. this sounds yummy and easy to make !#KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yum, this looks so good! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks tasty, I haven’t made a curry from scratch for a while but it’s made me want to. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks tasty! I love making curries from scratch #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great way to use leftovers and I love how it's changed its name to Devil and the reasons! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks really good, but I just can't handle really spicy food! I've also never actually been to a pot luck so have never had to face taking home a dish that no one else ate! x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete