Followers

Thursday, September 10, 2026

Silent Stories#6

Statues have a way of finding me. I don't set out to photograph them, yet they appear—in plazas, gardens, and street corners—each with its own silent story. Some are famous, others almost forgotten, but all of them invite a pause. Perhaps they fascinate me because public statues are relatively uncommon back home in Malaysia, so every encounter feels like discovering a small piece of another culture. What began as a simple fascination has become a journey of discovering the stories hidden within these silent works of art. 

Here’s another encounter in my Silent Stories series — a statue that found me.


 Statue of Petar Zoranić — Zadar, Croatia 
  • Artist: Unknown / Local Croatian Sculptor.
  • Artwork: The Statue of Petar Zoranić commemorates the foundational 16th-century Croatian literary figure.
  • Medium: A weathered bronze sculpture depicting the writer standing tall in Renaissance-era attire, uniquely characterized by its robust, powerfully sculpted legs.
  • Location: Situated prominently in St. Chrysogonus Square (Trg Svetog Krševana) in the historic, old town core of Zadar, Croatia.
  • The Figure: The monument depicts Petar Zoranić (1508–1569), a noble-born poet and notary from nearby Nin who went on to define the early identity of Croatian literature.
  • Literary Significance: Zoranić penned Planine (The Mountains) in 1536. Published posthumously in Venice in 1569, this pastoral romance is celebrated by historians as the very first novel ever written in the Croatian language.
  • Historical Context: The statue represents a triumph of human expression over conflict. Zoranić wrote his poetry during a tumultuous era when Zadar was a heavily fortified enclave under constant threat and siege by Ottoman forces.
  • Concept & Setting: Set against the backdrop of ancient stone facades and the medieval Church of St. Chrysogonus, the statue anchors a quiet public crossroad, connecting modern city wanderers to the cultural renaissance of the eastern Adriatic.
  • Silent Story: Standing proudly amidst centuries-old fortifications, the statue whispers a story of patriotism and cultural preservation. Zoranić used his fictional 7-day mountain trek to allegorically awaken his countrymen's love for their native tongue and land.
The Statue of Petar Zoranić reminds us that behind the stoic bronze of historical figures lies a passionate plea to remember who we are and where we come from.

56 comments:

  1. I love seeing the statues that find you. Thanks for sharing their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would have never thought that the statue was a poet...looks more like a solider to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating history! I'm enjoying this series. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the meaning of this statue very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly, a different type of statue to me, and most interesting story about it and a poet indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Petar looks as if he could have climbed great mountains with his muscular legs.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bela escultura, mais uma! Lindo fim de semana! beijos, chica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such interesting statues that find you! I think of a warrior when I see that statue not really a literary figure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...a beautiful play of light and shadows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oona: "Oona feels like that statue is judging everyone it sees and finding them wanting. JUST LIKE OONA DOES."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love your photos of the statues that find you. All the ones you show have a story to tell.
    Have a wonderful weekend, Veronica!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting style. Is it a very old statue?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Statues preserve history too. (Like a lot of murals do.)
    And the things we learn when we look just around -- properly! Amazing!
    Have a lovely weekend, Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool and very interesting. I'm enjoying our silent stories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's good that they would honor a writer in this way, not only soldiers and politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Veronica, unfortunately, for several days now, our posts have not been appearing in the Blogger platform's Reading List.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are very robust legs! Years of marching across countryside, maybe up and down mountains too. No cars in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, and so great to honour a poet who had great influence in Croatian literature. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bij elke standbeeld zit een verhaal aan vast. Vandaar dat de standbeelden er zijn. Maar eerlijk gezegd vinden wij deze standbeeld niet zo mooi uitgebeeld. Maar dit ligt natuurlijk ook aan de maker van deze standbeeld en werd dit zo met bewust gemaakt. Ook hier in Haarlemse stad zijn standbeelden zichtbaar. Maar dit is meestal in het oude centrum gedeelte Een mooie dag gewenst.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Statues find me too ! And I prefer the statue with signification...
    Have a lovely weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great! You did find a clue and use it to deepen your understanding about different cultures and histories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great history you found in a statue ~ thanks ^_^ ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are sharing such interesting statues. This one does look very stoic, as if the world is against him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a grand sculpture. He does look very muscular. And that looks like a shield behind him?

    Have a sweet September weekend, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

  25. A very expressive monument. The face is finely sculpted.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very unusual statue - I'm glad you found it and shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Statues do tell a lot of stories. Sometimes I lack the patience to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Veronica, reminders of who we are and where we come from are surely needed every now and then. And people who fight—through literature—to ensure a people's heritage isn't forgotten are important. The statue of Petar Zoranić looks very down-to-earth with those sturdy legs.
    I also really loved your previous post about the white-and-orange cat. How sweet that you saw her wandering about in a video, too. I’m sure that if she was at home all over the place there, she found a new spot to rest and get some petting 😺.
    All the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Veronica,
    Beautiful photo of the statue.
    I wish you a lovely Sunday.
    All the best, Ima

    ReplyDelete
  30. Muito obrigada pela partilha! Gostei de conhecer!

    Se tiveres um tempinho extra, gostava de te convidar a participar no questionário de consulta do blog: Partilha a tua Opinião aqui


    Bjxxx,
    Pinterest | Instagram | Blog

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for shairing information about this interesting statue.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Me gusta mucho fotografiarlas. Buena foto con su sombra en la pared.
    Blogger no actualiza, por eso he venido a ver si habías compartido de nuevo. Yo tambien he compartido.
    Buen domingo Verónica.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I like how you keep finding these statues and then uncover the story behind them. I’d never heard of Petar Zoranić before, so I learned something new today.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ich muss auch immer stehen bleiben und mir diese Statuen genauer anschauen liebe Veronica. Ich freue mich dass Du sie hier zeigst. Ich finde den Appell sich zu erinnern sehr gut !!

    Liebe Grüße
    Kerstin und Helga

    ReplyDelete
  35. An amazing statue with an interesting story. Thanks, Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really like the idea behind this series, because it’s easy to walk right past such sculptures without a second thought, yet they often have fascinating stories behind them. I was particularly intrigued by the connection here between the monument, the origins of Croatian literature, and the history of Zadar itself. I love places where art simply blends into the city's everyday urban landscape. Have a nice day!
    Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love hearing the stories behind all that statues you find.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Veronica,
    I love the statue and shadow, a great photo. Thanks for sharing the story.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the idea of statues “finding” you! There’s something special about discovering the stories behind these silent figures.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love this unique and very compelling statue of Zoranić. We can learn so much from those that bring strength to a nation and people during difficult times!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What I love about statues is that you can walk all the way around them and even touch them. Greetings from Sicily!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think this might be one of the first statues of a literary figure that I've seen. Nice to see a writer get immortalized in this manner.

    ReplyDelete
  43. The story has an interesting history- I enjoy reading about them. Thanks. . I've never been to Croatia.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very interesting.
    rkrsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. An interesting statue, beautifully captured in a fantastic photo 👏

    ReplyDelete
  46. I knew nothing about this. It really is fascinating history and I love your photo. Meanwhile, I just got you bookmarked so until Blogger figures itself out, I can find you! If you haven't been able to access Blogger reader (don't know if it's acting up all over the world or just here), please follow me by email -- you can sign up on the Marmelade Gypsy home page on the right rail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you for this post with a beautiful music, images and
    a little bit history. I like how you assembled them!
    Happy WW, dear Veronica. A fine week ahead!❤️😘

    ReplyDelete
  48. Those are very robust legs indeed, and what first caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hello Veronica,
    it is truly fantastic to see which statues find you :-)
    The wonderful thing is that, thanks to you, we get to enjoy these statues (and the accompanying texts from the artist, etc.) and learn something in the process. This statue is very beautiful.
    Warm regards,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  50. Muy interesante, me gusta saber de ellas. Besos.

    ReplyDelete