Statues have a way of finding me. I don't set out to photograph them, yet they appear—in plazas, gardens, and street corners—each with its own silent story. Some are famous, others almost forgotten, but all of them invite a pause.
Perhaps they fascinate me because public statues are relatively uncommon back home in Malaysia, so every encounter feels like discovering a small piece of another culture.
I'm beginning a new statue series. This week's encounter is the first piece from my growing gallery of statues discovered along the way.
![]() |
| Bronze statue of "Agriculture" located on the Queen Victoria Memorial outside Buckingham Palace. |
Name: Agriculture
Sculptor: Designed by Sir Thomas Brock and unveiled in 1911.
Symbolism: An allegorical representation of farming and harvest, depicting a woman in peasant attire holding a sickle alongside a powerful walking lion symbolising British national strength and power.
Origin: Gifted to the monument by the people of New Zealand, together with its counterpart.
Location: One of the four outer corner bronze groups of the monument directly outside the gates of Buckingham Palace in London.
Part of a Series: Represents Agriculture, one of four allegorical groups symbolising the nation's Victorian-era ideals: Agriculture, Manufacture (Industry), Peace, and Progress.

Statues and the stories behind them are fascinating
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting new series. Statues are fascinating works of art.
ReplyDeleteThat's pretty rare, a statue representing an industry. Almost always they represent individuals, or maybe personifications of national identity. Still, this sounds like the kind of thing the British of that era would do.
ReplyDeleteThat's quite interesting. The bronze statue looks impressive.
ReplyDeleteStatues always kind of amaze me and where they start. And their stories.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea for a series! That is a striking statue and I enjoyed reading the details about it. Looking forward to the next one! ☺
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful statue, Veronica.
ReplyDeleteIn the Netherlands, you also find many statues, statues are often made of famous people.
I wish you a wonderful week.
All the best, Irma
I can remember seeing Agriculture when I first went to London in 1988! Seems like forever ago ;)
ReplyDeleteIt's a beautiful statue but I wouldn't have associated it with agriculture by looking at it.
ReplyDeleteStatues can tell a lot...history, culture...
ReplyDeleteStatues teach history.
ReplyDeleteThe statue is very beautiful, Veronica. Thank you for the information. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteGostei de conhecer a estátua e sua história! Vale sempre fotografar!
ReplyDeleteLindo dia! beijos, chica
Dear Veronica,
ReplyDeleteI didn't know that statues are rather rare in Malaysia – I find that interesting! In Austria, there are tons of them – several of every famous musician, of all the rulers, fountain statues, and then of course statues in parks that tell stories or symbolize something - like "your" agricultural statue from London. I think that one is very well done, by the way! I'm curious to see which other statues found you over time 😊!
All the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/07/reisebericht-2025-zwischen-barenpfaden.html
Now that is very interesting as it's gifted by New Zealand, had no idea. Thank for the information and the photo of the Statue.
ReplyDelete...Veronica, in my case most things seem to find me. I have plans, but things seem to pop out of no where and excite me.
ReplyDeleteI love this idea of statues moving around when no one sees them, looking for you, and the whole town baffled by the mystery of the roaming statues.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
I find statues very interesting and this is a beauty. I love hearing the stories behind them.
ReplyDeleteA great Idea Veronica. I liked statues and the first you show ist fascinating, a woman and a lion and the information. I'm already looking forward to the continuation.
ReplyDeleteGreetings and hugs from German
Kirsi
Awesome statue and post ~ thanks for commenting on my blog ~ ^_^
ReplyDeleteI like the Lion! At one time in my life, I was really into them. Thought they were grand animals. I look forward to seeing your gallery of statues. And you're right, they invite us to pause and observe. : )
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteI know that memorial, too. Your photo of the "Agriculture" sculpture turned out great.
Statues have interesting stories to unveil.
ReplyDeleteMuito interessante!
ReplyDeleteBjxxx,
Pinterest | Instagram | Blog | Partilha Aqui a Tua Opinião
Interesting
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely statue!
ReplyDeleteA beautiful photograph.