One of the more unexpected sights at Croatia's Plitvice Lakes National Park wasn't a waterfall or a lake, but this road sign.
At first glance, it looks almost comical — a large warning triangle paired with the silhouette of a startled frog. Yet the sign serves a serious purpose. Plitvice's forests, streams, and wetlands are home to numerous amphibian species, and during certain times of the year frogs migrate between breeding and feeding areas. Roads that cut through these habitats can become dangerous crossing points, making wildlife warning signs an important part of conservation efforts.
The park itself is famous for its chain of 16 terraced lakes connected by waterfalls, but its biodiversity extends far beyond the water. The surrounding forests support a rich variety of plants and animals, including bears, wolves, lynx, birds, reptiles, and amphibians.
Still, what I remember most is the contrast. Here I was in one of Europe's most celebrated national parks, surrounded by autumn colours and ancient woodland, and the most eye-catching warning sign wasn't about falling rocks or sharp bends — it was a reminder to watch out for frogs.
A small sign, perhaps, but also a reminder that in places like Plitvice, even the smallest residents matter.



Never seen a sign like that, but how cool it is to help keep the frogs safe.
ReplyDeleteYou AI is good :)
Spotting that startled frog warning triangle amidst the breathtaking autumn colours of Plitvice Lakes must have been such a charming, memorable highlight of your trip. While everyone travels there to witness the sixteen terraced lakes, your story proves the local wildlife conservation efforts are just as incredible to observe up close. It is genuinely heartwarming to see a major national park take the safety of its smallest migrating amphibians so seriously by giving them their own official street sign.
ReplyDeleteHello Veronica,
ReplyDeleteHere in the Netherlands we know this too, we call it the toad migration and signs are also put up.
They themselves have made a sort of tunnel that the frogs can walk into so that they can pass under the road and not be run over by cars.
The Netherlands is a small country with a lot of inhabitants, so there are also a lot of cars on the road.
I wish you a nice weekend.
All the best, Irma
A sign of civilization and kindness.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a cool sign, never seen one like that!
ReplyDeleteMany tiny frogs live in my veg yard under the strawberries. Maybe I should put that sign too...π
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this fun fact!
I love it! Never saw anything like it before.
ReplyDeleteAwesome art! That's a good warning sign. There's a hedgehog warning sign here in one place. We often don't think that there are a lot of slow-moving little travelers on the road. Here we have to be careful when driving because of the animals. We never know what animal is on the road or coming onto the road.
ReplyDeleteThe sign is really beautifully made, and it is so important to take care of frogs and toads. Here in Norway we have underpasses from the road so the toads and frogs can walk safely. Have a nice weekend, Veronica!
ReplyDeleteInteresting - I have never ever seen a frog sign.
ReplyDeletei really like frogs, we have a native one here in NZ that is the green bell frog, have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteCute sign!
ReplyDeleteLindo letrero siempre cuidar a todas las especies. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteyes, very interesting sign....
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing,,,,,
That must be where they invented the game frogger
ReplyDeleteThose critters can be so small. It's an important reminder to look out for them. (Two frogs were on my brother's porch just the other day. Great timing for this post.)
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful reminder that conservation isn't just about protecting spectacular landscapes, but also the small creatures that call them home. A simple frog crossing sign says a lot about protecting biodiversity. Thanks for sharing this perspective. Have a nice day, Veronica!
ReplyDeleteI have heard about Frog Crossings but we don't have those in Australia. I always LOVE the little mice with backpacks.
ReplyDeleteJΓ‘ tinha ouvido falar de locais assim... Deve ser bonito de ver!
ReplyDeleteBjxxx,
Pinterest | Instagram | Blog | Partilha Aqui a Tua OpiniΓ£o
We have those in the spring, too.
ReplyDeleteAdorei ver essa travessia de sapos e o respeito por eles. Lindo de ver!
ReplyDeleteΓtimo domingo!
beijos, chica
Finaly one storry from my country. Welcome to Croatia and have I nice hollyday.
ReplyDeleteI must tell our son about this post! As a child, he loved all wildlife but he had a special fondness for frogs! We live near a stream and we had so many for him to observe. Oh! I just read the comment above from Croatia! Love it! My sister has a brother-in-law law who moved there. She has visited and says it is a lovely place.
ReplyDeleteThat is really cute! I love that they care about even tiny critters like frogs.
ReplyDeleteLove the 'frog crossing' ~ Hugs ^_^
ReplyDeleteGood sign
ReplyDeleteGran seΓ±al. Me gusta el respeto a todas las especies.
ReplyDeleteBuena semana VerΓ³nica.
Un abrazo.
Initially I thought so cute.. but that last AI pic of yours made it look a little creepy. That's a lot of frogs.
ReplyDeleteThis is so sweet! I think it's wonderful to care about all creatures great and small, both human and animal!
ReplyDeleteGot to try and protect the frogs too. They are such small critters and people need to be aware of them.
ReplyDeleteFirst time I've seen a sign like that.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteIt is good that people are being reminded to watch out for frogs.
Hello Veronica :)
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of this before. but what a good idea to save those little frogs from being run over.
Have an enjoyable week.
All the best
hugs
Sonjia.
I have never seen a frog crossing sign, but here in New Hampshire we have plenty of moose and deer crossing signs and I've never seen a moose, but have seen deer. They never are at the crossing sign!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute but unusual sign. I have never seen one like it before. Over here we only have deer crossing signs.
ReplyDeleteIt's probably not so easy to spot a frog crossing the road unless they cross in groups as opposed to one at a time.
...I've never seen this sign. Here frog have to take their chances crossing the road.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a fabulous park. I love that they try to protect frogs too.
ReplyDeleteUn cartello di questo genere proprio mi mancava, perΓ² Γ¨ bello vedere che c'Γ¨ una certa sensibilitΓ anche nei confronti di questi animali
ReplyDeleteIt says a lot about a community that they leave signs so everyone can take care of the frogs. It means they care about all of us. How wonderful! Always adore your little mice and even they are watching out for all those frogs. Thank you and I wish you a wonderful week. .
ReplyDeleteI love this! It sounds like a beautiful park and I am glad it cares for its crossing frogs! There is actually a similar sign in the village I grew up in.
ReplyDeleteHello Veronica,
ReplyDeleteThe park sounds wonderful. I like the cute frog sign and the last photo is cute too.
I hope the frogs stay safe crossing the roads. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy week ahead! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
This attention to frogs is wonderful. One of them could be a prince.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
I like that! But I always wonder how the animals (frogs in this case) know to cross there and not down the road a bit!
ReplyDeleteI thought your ai generated image of the mice watching the frogs cross the road was the cutest ever. The frog sign definitely would have caught my eye as well. It is rather runny looking, but I also love how practical it is. Frogs really are so cute and I wouldn't want to drive over one by mistake.
ReplyDeleteThe frogs sign is interesting!
ReplyDeleteThere is a "turtle crossing" sign on a major road near where I work!
This makes me smile. Years ago we hiked a country road with a pond on one side and the forest on the other. We soon noticed tiny juvenile frogs hopping here and there crossing the dirt road and into the forest. The experience was new to me, and we spent much time carefully walking through the crossing to miss all the frogs. Sounds like a beautiful way to spend a day.
ReplyDeleteIsn't that something. I don't recall ever seeing a "watch out for frogs" road sign. It shows that the people are protective and looking out for these frogs. I love your photo of the Fall looking forest and trail. You come across some interesting things in your travels. Have a wonderful July week.
ReplyDeleteHow neat is that. What a neat place to experience, I am sure.
ReplyDeleteThat's not a sign you see often! I love it. thank you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteI love Plitvice national park. Once when I was a little girl, I spotted a wolf there. It was in winter and the white wolf looked so magical. I remember thinking how ridiculous all the children stories about bad wolf ere...when it is the most beautiful animal you can imagine....
ReplyDeleteCute frog sign!
"I genuinely thought this was just a funny road sign at first, but the story behind it makes it even more amazing. It's wonderful to see a place protecting even the smallest wildlife like this. Thanks for sharing such an interesting fact—I learned something new today, and now I want to visit Plitvice Lakes even more!" πΈπΏ
ReplyDeleteFrogs on the run... we have it each springtime here.
ReplyDeleteGreetings by Heidrun ❤️
Hello Veronica,
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice detail about the passing frogs. They are very active at some times.
Funny pictures.
The last shot with al the frogs and the waiting mouses are so funny. It brings a Laugh on my face..!!
Many greetings,
Marco
We are always on the lookout for critters crossing the road. And we've saved a few turtles and such. Last weekend we were biking next to a road and held our breath when a doe and fawn almost crossed in front of motercycles. All ended well!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice that they care about frogs ♥
ReplyDeleteAngelika
Lulu: "We haven't ever seen much in the way of frogs around here, but we do have a big fat toad who lives in the succulents out front!"
ReplyDeleteMe encantan las ranas, cerca de mi casa hay una charca y viven muchas allΓ, me gusta mucho oΓrlas cantar por la noche. Besos.
ReplyDeleteMust admit when I saw this here in BC, I had a giggle, but yes, we need to take care of all creatures, despite size
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for visiting, linking up with me at TFT 768. See you on Thursday again