Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, July 13, 2018

Ramly Burger

Whenever my nephew visits from neighbouring Singapore, he always requests for a Ramly Burger. A classic Malaysian street food, the Ramly Burger is a huge favourite with the locals and Singaporeans.
Essentially, the Ramly Burger is just an egg-wrapped burger but the way the burger guy makes it is kinda fascinating.
First, the meat patty is butterflied, squirted with sauces and then joined back up. Next, an egg is cracked onto the griddle and spread out evenly and thinly. The patty is then drenched with more sauces and folded with the egg like a parcel! An ingenious way of containing the sauces, don't you think? Before the burger is wrapped up, the 'parcel' is then placed on a buttered bun, topped with shredded cabbage and slivers of onions followed by more liberal squirts of mayo, Maggi Seasoning and chili sauce. Sloppy, greasy, unhealthy and overloaded with sauces but totally worth it!

Here's how it's done.


Interestingly, did you know that Ramly Burgers are banned in Singapore due to concerns over the low quality meat? This makes the forbidden burgers even more desirable and enterprising Singaporean street vendors have even resorted to selling burgers with their own patties in the clever disguise of Ramly's trademark burger wrappers!
Nice! But it's the Ramly patties that are the heart and soul of this unique Malaysian burger. I was told that vendors risk jail and fine and even their trade license just to smuggle the frozen patties into their country!

So why is it called the Ramly Burger?

Founder Ramly Bin Mokni created the burger  in 1979. The couple initially sold burgers at a mobile kiosk in Kuala Lumpur. When their burgers gained popularity,  they subsequently sold their unique patties, along with the egg-wrapping technique to other street vendors. The vendors named the burger after their supplier.
Five years later, the couple opened their first factory when their homegrown business expanded.

Today, Ramly is the brand name of Ramly's frozen and fast food supplies company.


Operating only at night and usually run by young people with daytime jobs,  Ramly Burger stands can be found everywhere and in every neighbourhood. You can be certain there is always one in front of  a 7-Eleven store.

Good news for New Yorkers! Our famous egg-wrapped burgers are now selling in Queens!


Have you tried a Ramly Burger? Would you?

28 comments:

  1. Wow. I love how they are a favorite in your country. Are they good? Do you like to eat them? I think the egg would make it really filling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Are you kidding me, this sounds like burger heaven to me. Send one my way will you, Sweetie! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious, but definitely laden with calories! I would have to try just a bit of one though just to experience how tasty it could be!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds really interesting and I'd love to try it --- not when I'm on a diet though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it's in Queens now! Hope I can try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. A must try when visiting. #Globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh.. that looks delicious. Reminds we are these street burgers we have back home called a bun kabab.

    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely want one, no, I think two will do thank you LOL

    Have a burgertastic day :-)

    ReplyDelete

  9. Fresh-and-warm burger style - Burger with Omelette!

    Fresh-and-crispy/crunchy burger style - Burger with Lettuce/Cucumber/Cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! I can't fathom how he came up with this idea!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-bit-of-avian-whimsey.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore burgers and I love eggs so this has to be a winning combination!! Thanks for sharing with #bloggersbest x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh!!!!!!! We are definitely a burger household. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but I'm definitely gonna try to make a Romly Burger TONITE!!! That sounds so delicious! Not sure about the cabbage... hubby may not like that part of it, but it sounds good to me! Very adventurous! I mean WOW! My mouth is watering now. Hmmmm I just thought of something... I make what we call candy cabbage which is cabbage peeled leaf by leaf & fried in butter with Soy Sauce maybe I could shred it & hubby WOULD eat that & I can put that on two thinly sliced burgers... oh my gosh I have got to make sure I have all the ingredients in the house! OH MY I'M OFF TO THE STORE! hehehe~ THANK YOU FOR THE RECIPE... I hope I get it right............ WOO HOO!!!! YUMMMMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  13. I rarely eat burgers but I'm sure my sons would love these! Thanks for sharing at NanaHood!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to try one of these. A nice twist and who doesn't love a great burger.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vegetarian here, but my three oldest kids would try and probably love these burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh goodness I want to try one! I think it looks so good!

    I can tell you one person in my family that wouldn't like it: Mica. He'll eat almost anything, but frowns when it comes to eggs. We make him eat them anyhow, but it's always the last thing he'll eat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, I have never heard of these before. They look so good and I am very hungry now :) Thanks for stopping by The Wednesday Link Up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks fascinating and delicious in equal measure! May have to attempt one of these at home.
    #ThatLinkyFriday

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fascinating, never seen anything like this before! Thanks for linking up with #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had never even heard of a Ramly Burger before reading this but they sound amazing!!! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  21. NOM NOM NOM! This sounds delish! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  22. The history behind these is fascinating! I'm vegetarian so it's not for me but I'm certain my husband and our best friends would happily give this a go! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's nice that he is able to come and have it with you and something you can share together :) #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think they sound quite yummy and would definitely try one. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds amazing! Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can’t say I have tried one of these but I kind of want to. Looks great. Thank you so much for linking up with us for #kcacols and we hope to see you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think if there was a veggie burger option, I would give it a try. Keep on enjoying and thanks for sharing your delight! #kcacols xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your info is really amazing with impressive content. Excellent blog with an informative concept.
    burger patties supplier

    ReplyDelete