Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

65°C Bread

Mention the word bread and you'll hear groans from my family and probably neighbours who have been tormented by the daily aroma of baking bread, sometimes at ungodly hours when my mood takes me. Yes, I'm obsessed with bread making. Like many others, I've just joined the bread bandwagon and have been scouring the internet for bread recipes. Somebody has been busy!
Just when I thought my dinner rolls were about as soft as they can get, I stumbled upon yet another breadmaking technique called the 65 degrees bread or tangzhong method, using a water roux bread starter. This is clearly the bread winner!

So what is tangzhong?  Apparently, tangzhong is an ancient Chinese (some say Japanese) technique of using hot water to cook flour into a starchy paste used in the making of steamed dumplings (bao), buns, etc . I have not been able to find a satisfactory explanation on how tangzhong really works - it has something to do with the gelatinization of starch at 65°C resulting in a high moisture content which thus, yields bread that stays super soft and moist even after several days.


Here's a video by DessertzHouse to walk you through the steps of making tangzhong


And with the tangzhong starter, you can start rolling.

15 comments:

  1. I love the smell of bread baking. I haven't done it myself for years! I don't know why that is either...

    Thank you for sharing the technique you found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made the Hot Dogs wrapped in dough before. The hubs loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the most beautiful pigs in a blanket Ive ever seen. They make me wanna cry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made my own bread!! The bread machine is just too handy :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the smell of fresh bread baking. The problem is that I also like to eat it fresh from the oven. It's a very dangerous thing for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I have talked about making our own bread but still haven't tried it yet. Someday, hopefully.I'm stopping by and following along via the linkin' with my ladies hop.;)
    Maria
    www.thislifesbeautifulmoments.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love homemade bread, but now that I am on a gluten free diet, I haven't made any. Once I get moved in the next few months, I will definitely have to try it. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, I think this is a great Idea, I love fresh bread, Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things Hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine anyone groaning at the word bread! Next time the mood hits you, you are welcome to bake over at my house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE making bread too... I'll have to give this recipe a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bread looks fantastic! I have not ventured past my bread machine in bread making yet, but you are tempting me. Perhaps soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to make bread. I've never tried it before. I always make biscuits, but never this type of bread. However, I love a new technique of trying something and I definitely love. Marking this one down...as a try-it.

    Sharon
    http://makitorfixit.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make all of our bread BUT it looks nothing like yours! Your bread is gorgeous!! Mine is NOT but it still tastes awesome...maybe if i study your tips I will soon make great bread like yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! I wish you lived near by! :o) I love the smell of bread baking (except when I was expecting our son...for some reason, during that time, I couldn't take the smell of bread baking!)

    I make rolls, but this method I would like to try! Thank you for sharing it.

    I popped over to this post from your other post :o)
    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete