Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

W/W - Happy 50th Birthday To Me

Yes, I turned the big 5-0 last week and I'm freaking out!  The years have spun by too quickly, too soon. Is hitting the half-century mark supposed to be a milestone of some proportion? It scares me that while some of my peers  are already grannies, my eldest son is only 15 years old.  And the thought that I haven't achieved half the things on my bucket list isn't very comforting either.
At 17, I thought I would be at the highest rung on the corporate ladder by the time I was 40. Nope, it didn't happen. And by the time I'm 50 I should have travelled the world - sadly, still not there.

Sorry pallies, I have no life-changing epiphanies or any deep experiences to share, just a few things I've learned  from surviving half a century.

Here are some random thoughts

1. I'm officially over-the-hill. Gulp!
2. Menopause is a bitch.
3. Karma is a bigger bitch
4. Kelly Clarkson is right - What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
5. Don't sweat the small stuff - life is really too short.
6. Happiness is a choice - you either move on or fester in your misery
7  Whatever you do, if your intentions are bad, your plans always backfire. Let your conscience be your guide.
8 It's OKAY to be afraid of growing old - that means you are forced to make changes to your life.
9. Used to be, video calls existed only in Sci-fi movies....... now we Skype.
10. Used to be, filling in the gender blank in forms was either male or female.... now we have several options.
11. I am not a bad person - some people just bring out the worst in me.
12. The lyrics from Joni Mitchell's The Circle Game keep playing in my head -
                    "We're captive on the carousel of time,
                     We can't return, we can only look behind
                      From where we can
                      And go round and round
                      And round in the circle game"

To all the baby boomers out there, Congrats! We have made it to 50! 

So some dreams and goals were lost along the way but there will be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty before the last revolving year is through.

Sharing this beautiful quilled card  made by my talented bloggy buddy from Romania - Aurelia Eugenia @ http://aureliaeugenia-ideisicreatii.blogspot.com/
My quilled birthday cake. Isn't it absolutely adorable!!
And oh, one more thing - Hair mascara is man's greatest invention!

28 comments:

  1. My dearest sweet Veronica !
    First is always first:you are a very beautiful and smart LADY !
    All the things you wrote are real and true -I will be 57 on December 28 and I am also scared as my daughter is too small and this world is becoming a ..bitch and she'll have to fight it,hope not all alone,but who knows what's her destiny.
    The surprise you offered me with my cards almost made me cry...
    I want to wish you again health and happiness and lots of luck!
    One thing's for sure,You will be me ever best friend and ,maybe is strange,but I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Veronica!!! Age is just a number--you are fabulous! Look at how beautiful you are, inside and out. Thanks for the wisdom of your years. I have a few, but not many, until I hit 50. But even at 43 your "random thoughts" have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, happy birthday Veronica! I'm 1 year and a half shy of hitting 50 and it scares me too. I think that there's something about seeing the number 5 in the front of another number. Did you accomplish as much as you would like to? Are you adding more and more on your bucket list or just checking things off as you go along? I also share the sentiment of what doesn't kill you will make your grow stronger. I know that very well. Hope your celebration was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday sweetness!! I never would have guesses you were turning the big 5-0, you look fabulous!! Hope you had an amazing birthday and I wish you many, many more years of health and happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look how BEAUTIFUL you are!!

    Don't you like this age??? I do. I love that my head is finally at a good place and I'm pretty comfortable in my skin. Although certain parts of me are falling apart now! Hahaha!

    LOVE you, Veronica Lee! I hope that "Meeting up with my BEST blog pally, Lin" is on the bucket list!!

    I wish you a very happy and blessed birthday, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 50th! Hope you had a wonderful time with family and friends. Do not fret - just try to live happy and be healthy. All else will fall in place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday, Veronica!!! You're definitely 50 years YOUNG!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Veronica! Happy Birthday. 50 is a GREAT age. I started snowboarding when I turned 50 ( I gave up when I was 54. ) Still, there's plenty of life left to enjoy yet. They say grandchildren are God's gift for not killing your teenagers, but I also think they are something to look forward to and put your life in perspective. Have a wonderful year, Lovely Lady.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol Happy 50th !! Your certainly not over the hill !! Im not quite there yet, although when I was in my teens I can remember thinking how old my mom was and she was only 34, how scary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday! Very pretty cards. I'm sure you have achieved plenty! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 50th Birthday! I actually hear a lot of ppl say 50 is a great time in their life :) You look so YOUNG!! Wow! Hope you enjoy this part of your life :) Thanks for linking up!

    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I hope I look half as fabulous as you do at 50! Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! Totally agree with everyone else.. you SO don't look 50!! Way to go girl! I love your words of wisdom about surviving fifty years of life! I especially like 7 -- so very true. Have an excellent day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah and also East of Eden is my FAVORITE book of all time! Love Stienbeck too. Your title is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Happy Belated Birthday, You look great! I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Veronica. I am not far behind at 44 this year. I loved you words of advice. You look fabulous, btw - Have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday

    I am your newest follower from bassgiraffee link up

    ReplyDelete
  18. congrats. now you'll have to go to the dentist more.

    i'm 53 today

    verification makes it really hard to comment. you'd get more comments if you turned it off. i had to do this several times to get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday to someone who looks fabulous at fifty! I'm visiting from the bassgifaffe-linkups and am now following. I hope you have a moment to pop over to my place too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy, happy birthday! You look AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Belated Birthday!!! Returning the commenting favour. I love your blog also.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Belated Birthday! It's a good thing I don't work at the boardwalk guessing ages, because I wouldn't have even been close to yours. ;D

    -:¦:- Featured Photo: Peach Rose -:¦:-

    ReplyDelete
  23. V, I'm a loser for not keeping up with your blog and having missed your birthday! I suck and I'm sorry!!!
    Happy Belated my dear friend and mentor. You are not old, you don't even look your age, and if you didn't tell me i would have guessed much, much, much younger!!! You are incredible and your boys are so lucky they can enjoy your company for so much, much, much longer! :)
    Happy belated again form your loser friend, Steph... (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  24. happy birthday my dear friend!!
    i love your list of things you have learned...
    side note, you do not look anywhere near 50...
    hope it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Time marches on! Happy Birthday even thought I am way late. Love your list. You should see the looks on my grandkids face when I tell them I grew up with a black and white TV and it was only on for so many hours in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy, happy birthday dear friend! You look beautiful...truly awesome!
    Sorry I am late...but hope you had an amazing day!

    Blessings & Aloha!

    ReplyDelete