Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Runaway Ostrich on Highway

Now here's news you don't see everyday!

PETALING JAYA: An escaped ostrich caused a commotion when it was spotted bolting down the Federal Highway.

The video of the flightless bird speeding down the fast lane at about 3.20pm was uploaded by Jeff Sandhu on social media website Instagram.



When I came by it, the ostrich was running from the Universiti Malaya bus stop heading towards the Federal Highway. It blocked traffic at the bus stop as cars stopped to see what was happening," he told The Star Online on Thursday.

"After the bus stop, it started running on the road. And the next thing you know, it ran all the way to the RTM building," he said.

It appeared that the ostrich also had no regard for rules, and ran "afowl" of basic road etiquette.

"It blocked up five lanes on the Federal Highway," said Sandhu, who explained that it took up so much space because the indecisive ostrich kept switching lanes.

"Everyone wasn't sure whether to overtake it or not so we stayed behind it," he added.

However, the ostrich adhered to at least one road rule.

"It was running within the speed limit, so that's OK," said Sandhu, who estimated the bird's general speed at about 35kmh before it grew tired and slowed down.

Sandhu stopped tailing the feathered fugitive at the RTM building because he had a meeting to attend.

"I had to stop following it by then because I had a meeting. I don't think anyone would believe me if I told them I was late because I was chasing after an ostrich," he said.

He also expressed some worry for his new friend, hoping that the bird finds its way home unharmed.

"I hope the ostrich doesn't get hurt and finds its way back home! Raya is coming and I'm sure everyone wants it to be home safe," he said, echoing the concerned sentiments of netizens who commented on his video.

There is no information yet on what the ostrich was doing or where it came from.

The Star Online is in the midst of contacting the Wildlife and National Parks Department (Perhilitan) and the Department of Veterinary Services to the status of the ostrich.

All attempts so far to apprehend the ostrich have been futile.

"We sent a team to locate and capture the ostrich but it could not be detected. It is likely that the bird has run to another area," an officer at the Seksyen 7 Petaling Jaya Fire and Rescue Department told The Star Online.

However, catching the bird was a delicate manner as it required some "interstate coordination".

"It is difficult as the bird was spotted at the border (between Kuala Lumpur and Selangor)," he quipped.

source - http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/06/16/ostrich-sprints-down-highway/

This week's cookies. I made them for my vet.

Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday

11 comments:

  1. I saw an alligator crossing the road once. I think I'd rather see an ostrich. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such cute cookies! How cute with the ostrich! Glad you were part of the adventure; hoping he/she got home safely! About a year ago there were llamas running freely along one of the freeways here :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very strange. A cow crossed the road in front of me before, which I thought was strange, but I have never seen anything this strange before! Delicious looking cookies, lucky vet!
    Amanda. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa that is crazy.. we have deer here.. they wander the area, cross the streets, play in our backyards..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the Ostrich was fast! But how very strange? I hope it's found and is ok.

    I love your cookies by the way - do you have a tutorial on your blog on how to make them? I would love to see that.

    Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS and I hope to see you back again next week

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cookies they are adorable. The video gives new meaning to why did the chicken cross the road!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's looks crazy! We get wild turkeys and deer from time to time.

    I love the puppy cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously! I have never seen that. By the way, your cookies look so awesome! I want one!
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was he being chased by Wiley Cyote? 😂😂 #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, that is hilarious! Visiting from #KCACOLS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ostrich can be a headache I suppose :). Stay safe ..

    ReplyDelete