Followers

Wednesday, September 2, 2026

Silent Stories#5

 Statues have a way of finding me. I don't set out to photograph them, yet they appear—in plazas, gardens, and street corners—each with its own silent story. Some are famous, others almost forgotten, but all of them invite a pause. Perhaps they fascinate me because public statues are relatively uncommon back home in Malaysia, so every encounter feels like discovering a small piece of another culture. What began as a simple fascination has become a journey of discovering the stories hidden within these silent works of art. 

Here’s another encounter in my Silent Stories series — statues that found me.

Sean Henry’s Man with Cup — Salisbury Cathedral

  • Artist: Sean Henry (born 1965), a British sculptor known for creating life-sized painted bronze figures that explore identity, human presence, and everyday experiences.
  • Artwork: Man with Cup (2008) is a life-sized painted bronze sculpture depicting an anonymous man standing quietly while holding a simple cup.
  • Medium: The sculpture is made from bronze and hand-painted, a technique Sean Henry uses to give his figures a strikingly lifelike appearance.
  • Exhibition at Salisbury Cathedral: The sculpture was displayed at Salisbury Cathedral as part of Sean Henry’s exhibition “Conflux: A Union of the Sacred and the Anonymous” in 2011.
  • Concept of the exhibition: The exhibition placed contemporary human figures within the medieval cathedral, creating a dialogue between the sacred surroundings of the past and the ordinary lives of people today.
  • The figure: Unlike traditional cathedral sculptures that often depict saints, kings, or biblical figures, Man with Cup represents an everyday, anonymous person — someone who could be any one of us.
  • The cup: The ordinary cup held by the figure contrasts with the grandeur of Salisbury Cathedral, suggesting the importance and dignity of everyday moments.
  • Location significance: Salisbury Cathedral, built in the 13th century, provides a dramatic setting for Henry’s modern sculptures, highlighting the connection between centuries-old spiritual spaces and contemporary human experiences.
  • Silent story: Standing quietly among ancient stone and stained glass, Man with Cup invites visitors to pause and reflect on the unnoticed stories carried by ordinary people.

Sean Henry’s Man with Cup reminds us that even the most ordinary person can become a subject worthy of contemplation.



And the answer to my previous post’s little mystery? — Athens. Some of you were curious, so I won’t keep you guessing. Yes, the mystery photo was taken in Athens, a city in Greece where yellow taxis are part of the everyday landscape.

53 comments:

  1. These statues are beautiful we just have one here in Launceston that I know of, of similar type.
    Thanks for the commentary on them as it's a good help and read. Thank you.
    Seems I guessed Athens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gostei de ver as estátuas que conseguiste fotografar ! Lindas! beijos, chica

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Man with the Cup could inspire fiction writers. And thanks for the answer. I had almost thought it was an Indian city corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bene, ero arrivata a capire che si trattava della Grecia per via dei caratteri , dovevo immaginare che fosse Atene !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interessante anche la statua dell'uomo con la tazza a Salisburgo ! Saluti.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't have guessed Athens - it's the part we don't see in brochures.
    I really like that statue and its placement with those traditional statues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The statues look great! And I would have never guessed that's Athens...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Veronica, fascinating. These cathedrals are wonders to behold, so many details to discover. Sadly, so many have become tourist sites instead of places of worship. But God is still very much present!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lulu: "One of these things is not like the others!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your silent stories. Beautiful statues. Thank you for sharing
    all these details, dear Veronica!
    All the best in September!❤️😘

    ReplyDelete
  11. At one time, much of what was on those cathedrals was ordinary everyday life. It's nice to see modern figures brought into it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He certainly stand out. What an interesting statue. That is why I love Europe, their architecture hold so many stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...needles to say, they don't build things like today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is interesting! I didn't know this was Athens!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a very real-looking statue. I bet a lot of people thought it was an actual guy who somehow climbed up there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Veronica,
    Beautiful photo of the statue.
    I thought it was Greece when I read your previous blog, so I was kind of right.
    I wish you a very good weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tried my darndest to leave comments on blog yesterday but wasn't able to. Thankfully, after reading others were having the same issue, it's now resolved.

    The modern sculpture is certainly quite different from what was designed so long ago, but like you said, also very relevant to the times.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting statues !
    Modern art in the middle of ancien art...
    Have a nice weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Veronica,
    Nice picture of this statue.
    It's a amazing on that building. A great artwork.

    Many greetings,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you describe statues "finding" you—there is something so poetic about stumbling across art when you least expect it! Coming from a place where public statues are rare must make encounters like this feel even more magical.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have heard so many wonderful things about Salisbury and this cathedral in particular, but I really appreciated your beautful photo and the very helpful descriptions you added about the figure and history of the statue. The contrast is quite remarkable -- and it works.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with you about the importance of statues, Veronica. Actually each statue tells us a story of the town we are visiting.
    I'm always interested in learning historical information related to statues and landmarks.

    Greetings,
    G.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fascinating statue, especially juxtaposed next to those others. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Man with a cup! Wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is Chatty Crone - now I am anonymous - I have no idea what is going on - but wanted to say hello. Interesting to mix the two kinds of statues - I have never seen this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I first thought the Man with Cup was a real man just getting his photo taken with famous statues.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely statue of man holding a cup! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Now I'm wondering how the statues are getting the word out that they should all find you. But I'm glad they do, I'm enjoying this series.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Toen we de foto voor het eerst naar keken, zagen we gelijk opvallende zwarte man staan met z'n beker. Dit is toch heel vreemd gezicht hoor. Hij hoort daar zeker niet thuis of ertussen. Maar het is een geweldige mooie foto geworden. We weten ook niet of die man blijft staan of is het AI? Dit kan tegenwoordig ook makkelijk allemaal. Een mooie dag gewenst.😉

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Veronica,

    it is nice to read that you wrote that the statues find you :-) I see a very beautifully decorated building with statues and then suddenly there stands that black statue of a man. Nicely spotted.
    Best regards, Helma

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Veronica,
    I understand your fascination with statues very well. When I discover an interesting sculpture, I rarely look at it simply as a work of art. I almost immediately begin to wonder about the story behind it. Who is this person? Why is he standing here? What might he be thinking?

    I find Man with Cup particularly fascinating because he is such an ordinary figure in such an extraordinary setting. Surrounded by the history and grandeur of Salisbury Cathedral, this anonymous man with his simple cup seems almost more intriguing than a king or a saint would be.

    Perhaps that is what I like so much about your “Silent Stories” series. A sculpture may be silent, but it leaves plenty of room for our own thoughts and imagination.

    Thank you for introducing me to another one of these quiet encounters. I will be curious to see which statue finds you next.

    Warm greetings from Germany,
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear Veronica,
    I understand your fascination with statues very well. When I discover an interesting sculpture, I rarely look at it simply as a work of art. I almost immediately begin to wonder about the story behind it. Who is this person? Why is he standing here? What might he be thinking?

    I find Man with Cup particularly fascinating because he is such an ordinary figure in such an extraordinary setting. Surrounded by the history and grandeur of Salisbury Cathedral, this anonymous man with his simple cup seems almost more intriguing than a king or a saint would be.

    Perhaps that is what I like so much about your “Silent Stories” series. A sculpture may be silent, but it leaves plenty of room for our own thoughts and imagination.

    Thank you for introducing me to another one of these quiet encounters. I will be curious to see which statue finds you next.

    Warm greetings from Germany,
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an interesting statue. I like what it represents. It's good to stop and reflect on the lives of ordinary people. We all have our own story to tell, some of it is good, and some of it not so good, but in the end we forgive, hope, laugh, and love. Sometimes ordinary people have the most extraordinary story to tell. : )

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is a very nice statue and I'll bet it is even more impressive in person.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Salisbury Cathedral must have been a wonderful backdrop for this exhibition. When I was there - sometime in the late 90s - there wasn't any exhibition there, but the place was still beautiful and contemplative. I like your silent story here, Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  37. When I hear of or read Salisbury Cathedral I think of the Russian poisoning! What an interesting statue :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. That's a very good point too. I like the statues.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the contract of this statue with its surroundings. It does a fantastic job of helping the viewer better appreciate both the ancient as well as the more contemporary. So neat! Also, I was waaay off on my guess for the location of your last post. I guess I need to better familiarize myself with Greece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. This photo cetainly made me do a double take of surprise, Veronica! At first I thought it was a real person posing up on the church wall. What an interesting display of art in an unusal space.
    Soit was Athens in the prior post! Thanks for letting us know. NYC is also fukll of yellow cabs, downtown Brooklyn has green ones. Here, i Colorado, they driveerless light blue car called Waymo is trying to begin to attract locals for cab rides in Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The statue is really life-like. At first glance, I thought it was a real person.

    ReplyDelete
  42. That is a very interesting statue. I enjoyed your narrative and photos very much. Thank you and I wish you a happy September.

    ReplyDelete
  43. An interesting statue. Thanks for sharing, Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  44. What an unusual sight. The man with a cup looks so real and so out of character with the other statues it would be easy to think it was someone who climbed up there to have his picture taken.

    ReplyDelete