Followers

Thursday, July 23, 2026

A Cat Between Centuries

 Walking the castle walls of Dubrovnik, you expect battlements, sea views, and echoes of history. What you don’t expect is a ginger cat, sun-drunk and serene, sprawled across an air-conditioning compressor—two legs dangling, eyes half closed, completely surrendered to the moment.

The vines creep, the tiles glow, the walls whisper of knights and merchants. And then there’s this feline philosopher, reminding us that history and modernity often meet in the most ordinary corners.

It’s a perfect little anachronism: medieval fortifications built to withstand sieges, now sharing space with humming machines of modern comfort—and a cat who couldn’t care less about either. No ambition. No deadlines. No emails. Just solar-powered happiness.

I think cats have already solved life—we’re the ones overcomplicating it.

Maybe that’s Dubrovnik’s charm: it’s not just a museum of stone, but a living city where cats nap on air-conditioners, tourists wander the ramparts, and time folds in on itself.

59 comments:

  1. I think you're right - the cat has solved life and we do over complicate things. The cat is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven’t been to Dubrovnik on the sea yet, only to Dubrovnik where they grow orchids… they aren’t the same places… the first one is in Croatia, the second in Slovenia :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. And another cat curled up in the scrubby vines below. No one relexes as well as a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have an orange cat like that...miss him terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing beats solar-powered nap time on historic stone. What a wonderful capture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cats can sleep anywhere, it seems! ☺ It was interesting to see all the cats wandering around the various European locations we visited. They were pretty much everywhere, and looked well-cared for, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love that cat. It's such a beautiful picture that you captured.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The noise of the machine is e even a lullaby for him! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  9. "No ambition. No deadlines. No emails." I think it's only when humans retire that they achieve the same quality of life as a cat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Drago mi je što i dalje uživaš na našoj obali, te što napokon zamjećuješ bitne stvari u životu. Život je prekratak da bi ga gubili na nebitne stvari. Budi i ti kao ta mačka i posveti se više onome što te veseli.

    I'm glad you're still enjoying our coast, and that you're finally noticing the important things in life. Life is too short to waste it on unimportant things. Be like that cat and dedicate yourself more to what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Que amor o gato e eles sabem bem o que precisam... rs...
    beijos, lindo fim de semana, chica

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much! Great writing and picture! I can see the descriptions in the writing in my eyes:-)) Imagination is a good force.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photo of the cat on the air conditioner.
    I wish you a very good weekend.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pic. I have a cat and two kittens. So the image of a cat like here does catch my fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet kitty sleeping on the AC ~ Hugs ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Charlee: "Buildings come and go, but sunshine is forever!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bom dia minha querida amiga Veronica. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Infelizmente, nunca saí do Brasil. A Croácia é um país que eu gostaria muito de conhecer. Tenho uma prima, no estado brasileiro de Minas Gerais, que é apaixonada por gatos. Uma excelente manhã de sábado, bom final de semana e um grande abraço carioca para você e todos os seus familiares na Malásia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The kitties always know where the best spots are located!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I envy the cat. I don't know why humans seem hell bent on overcomplicating everything!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never had a cat but I find them so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Está algo escondido entre la maleza pero parece que posa para la foto. Saludos desde Bitácora literaria España

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet, adorable cat! And I agree with Mari's comment! I have had cats most of my life...I love them! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh love it He looks very much like our cat ginger Pose and all lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is sandie/chatty I am in the middle of changing my email address. Wish I could be that cat laying down!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That cat looks content. And the building has a/c, so win-win.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think perhaps we should be more like cats :) Veronica. Lovely post! Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This adorable cat from Dubrovnik reminds me of all the cute kitties I saw while in Rome. They were everywhere and all so adorable! I definitely think this cat has it ALL figured out!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, to be a cat. I often say this to people. You are right they get it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your photo reminds me of all the feline photos my son took while touring Greece. My favorite was a gray cat all curled up on a pile of books a book seller was trying to sell that day. He was completely unbothered by the tourists.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How sweet is this photo, the cat on the A/C in the sun fast asleep I presume. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  31. And somebody inside is probably complaining about their aircon not working very well, not realising it is covered in vines! I do love this photo and the lovely cat looks so content.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely photo. The image of that ginger cat, completely content between centuries of history and modern life, made me smile. Cats really do seem to have life all figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That contrast between ancient stone battlements and a sun-soaked cat napping on a humming AC unit is absolute perfection! Capturing that little feline philosopher living its best, stress-free life really puts all our modern rushing into perspective. Dubrovnik has a way of blending history with everyday moments, and this snapshot sums up that easygoing charm brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anytime I see an orange cat, my heart melts. I love this. And you're right -- they have it figured out. I'm sure they have stress, but at least they don't watch the news or manage the budget.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hai scattato una foto particolare e fatto una riflessione davvero interessante

    ReplyDelete
  36. ...does it wakeup when the unit goes on???

    ReplyDelete
  37. Que feliz y tranquilo se ve al gato, me encantó verlo. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Veronica :)
    Once again you have found an unusual sight. What a laid - back cool cat,.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Veronica! That's a smart cat, finding a nice quiet area to nap. In our 34 years of marriage, my wife and I had never really been cat people until a few years ago, now we've been adopted by 3. They are so amusing, and each one of them has a unique personality. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You take the most delightful pictures, my friend. That cat looks like he's just enjoying life. Now, if only I was a cat person rather than a dog person hehehehe. Have a beautiful July week.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sprawled ginger cats soaking up medieval sunshine definitely have life figured out completely. Seeing that little philosopher napping on a noisy air-conditioner right against ancient Dubrovnik stone makes me smile. We stress over every single deadline while local felines master total relaxation. I need a vacation there immediately just to soak up that exact carefree vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely cat. They know how to choose the best places to take a nap.
    Great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  43. super cute cat. I need to be more like a cat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. I adore cats. I have seven of them. I even have a ginger cat named Ryzhik.

    ReplyDelete
  45. So true about a cat's philospohy of a good life to eat, sleep and enjoy an occasional head rub!
    I've heard many stories about the meaning of the way a horse legs are positioned in a statue is supposed to tell the riders fate in life--one horse leg up means wounded in battle, two means they died in battle, but I think some historians say it is all myths.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Another great blog post—and what a cute cat that seems to be thinking, “Go ahead and do whatever you want; I’m perfectly fine just lying here.”

    ReplyDelete