Back in 2023, I was wandering through Plaka, Athens — narrow streets, painted shutters, and right there on a wooden bench, a white cat with orange patches. Calm as a monk, stretched beside a potted plant, watching the world drift by. I even stopped to pet it, noticing the distinctive mark on its face and coloring that made it unforgettable.
Back home in Malaysia, I watched a few YouTube walking tours of Plaka and smiled when I spotted the very same cat roaming the nearby streets — not just outside the shop where I had met it, but moving through the neighborhood as if it belonged there, a familiar face in a place visited by thousands of strangers.
![]() |
Recently, while looking through old photos, I was reminded of that cat and decided to Google the shop at Thespidos 2, the very spot where I first saw it. The result? “Permanently closed.” Once a concept store, it has since been replaced by an eyewear boutique. The shelves, the counter, the heart‑shaped ornaments, the bench — gone. But the cat? That’s the part Google can’t tell you.
Maybe it wandered off to another doorway, claimed a new bench, or became a regular at the taverna down the street. Cats in Plaka are like unofficial guardians of the neighborhood — they don’t belong to one shop, they belong to the rhythm of the place.
There’s something poetic about it: businesses open and close, signs fade, shutters lock. Yet the cats remain, padding through centuries of change, curling up wherever life still hums. The shop may have vanished, but the memory of that cat lingers — a reminder that sometimes the soul of a street isn’t in its commerce, but in its creatures.


I liked the simile "Calm as a monk." But sad that Google can't tell us certain 'important' things.
ReplyDeleteIf it's just three years since you saw it, the cat is almost certainly still around, even if it now hangs out at a different shop.
ReplyDeleteI loved this! How cool that you saw that same cat. If only we knew what happened to it.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think I'd rather know about the cat. Who cares about the shops.
ReplyDeleteThe cat is really beautiful!!! I agree with Liz, I'd rather know about the cat. Thank you so much for sharing your photos.
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely kitty. They really can sleep any time anywhere!
ReplyDeleteNature and animals were here before us and will be here afterwards...
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely photos, Veronica.
ReplyDeleteThe cat looks very sweet.
All the best, Irma
Now I'm wondering about this lovely cat too. I wonder where it is. I hope it's doing well. Thank you for sharing this lovely story.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely looking cat. Fancy seeing it on google, amazing. Yes, shops come and go unfortunately at times.
ReplyDeleteLovely cat and pictures !
ReplyDeleteHe must be near around...living his relax life as a cat ;)
Anna
Esse gato é bem calmo e lindo e legal encontrá-lo de novo!
ReplyDeletebeijos, ótimo dia,chica
Such a marvelous creature.
ReplyDeleteHaving always lived in the country, we are only used to farm cats who for the most part have to survive on their own. Luckily, there is enough mice around to keep them well fed.
ReplyDelete...in my next life I want to be a cat!
ReplyDeleteI gatti sono creature incredibili !!!
ReplyDeleteChaplin: "That kitty looks very content at their post, and no doubt looks just as content at their new one, wherever it may be!"
ReplyDeleteMy first cat, Stimpy, looked much like this (though he had more orange). They make the nicest cats! My friend Shoko from Japan said "He looks like a Japanese cat!" when she saw him. I love that there are so many cats in Greece. I used to have a calendar with them in different settings. This one is so beautiful -- I bet he has to have a lot of friends! And your photo is wonderful. It looks like it was a lovely shop.
ReplyDeleteA happy cat. I'm sure it was spoiled. That's a good thing.
ReplyDeleteI linked this post to Happy Tuesday.
Have a fabulous day and week. Hugs. ♥
Lovely cat.
ReplyDeleteI found this story about the unique cat to be so touching, Veronica. How cool that you were able to connect this cat to the one you found on Google - Wow! Thanks for this beautiful story.
ReplyDeleteThe cat looks so cute, and it looks healthy and well-fed. It's probably doing very well.
ReplyDeleteThat is such a pretty kitty and I'm sure it's hanging out somewhere nice!
ReplyDeleteLovely cat!
ReplyDeleteMaybe the cat is the mayor of that neighborhood and is on official business at the moment. She might be spotted again one of these days.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
That cat had beautiful markings on his head and tail.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteThat’s a great photo with the cat. You have a good eye for beautiful subjects.
I think it is fascinating that you were able to see the same cat on YouTube after your visit. What are the odds of that? The markings on the cat really are quite unique, that must have made the discovery even more rewarding. It really is too bad the shop closed where you found the cat. There is always something sad about a business closing. I always hope the owner is having success in whatever new ventures they set out on.
ReplyDeletei love cats :) very nice
ReplyDeleteUy es un lindo gatito. Me gusto el video. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteI hope there are people who look after this cat. He looks well-fed and happy.
ReplyDeleteI love the colour on the door and window frames! And the cat too, hope she is still around, guarding "her" streets.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
ReplyDeleteSo sweet cat. It's unbelievable that he lives there and it's also in someone's video. Have a nicce day!
ReplyDeleteAngelika
I love that you spotted the same cat in walking tour videos later. I bet he’s happily moved on to supervising whichever shop took its place.
ReplyDeleteSchade dass der Laden geschlossen wurde liebe Veronica. Und wie wunderbar dass Du wirklich die Katze auf dem Video erkannt hast! Hier bei uns in Darmstadt gab es auch einen Kater der in der Innenstadt in den Geschäften unterwegs war. Gewohnt hat er bei einer Familie war aber tagsüber immer unterwegs in den Läden. Das war lustig wenn man ihn schlafend in der Buchhandlung gefunden hat. Nach ganz vielen Jahren ist die Familie dann mit dem Kater aufs Land gezogen ich hoffe ihm wurde da nicht langweilig :-))))
ReplyDeleteHerzliche Grüße
Kerstin und Helga
Boa noite minha querida amiga Veronica. O trabalho de Vik Muniz é muito interessante. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Uma excelente noite de quarta-feira, para você e todos os seus familiares na Malásia e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.
ReplyDeleteI've grown to love cats when I acquired a grand cat- I love our LuLu. This cat is truly beautiful and I don't believe that I have ever seen one with that coloring. Very interesting story ..
ReplyDeleteMy son took so many photos of random cats and even a dog or two that they ran into while touring Greece. Many that they saw over and over while making that new spot "home" for a few nights and became a real part of their trip.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI love your photos of the cat on the bench. I am sorry the store closed, I hope the cat found a new home and bench.
The cat has lived on in the video! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy week ahead. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Cats are special animals with free spirits; as Turks, we love them very much.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos of the kitty on the bench ~ Lots of stores no longer exist or carry and item that you want to replace ~ sign of the times I guess ~ Hugs ^_^
ReplyDeleteIt is a beautiful cat and how delightful you saw him in a YouTube later. Cats are resilient, I am sure, hopeful, that he found another comfortable spot to settle in.
ReplyDeleteDear Veronica :)
ReplyDeleteIt's cooler now and I have started visiting again. Your photos are super, and the white and ginger cat is adorable. I'm sorry the store closed but no doubt the cat has found another store and bench to lie on..I love that the cat you saw which has quite unique marking was filmed on video and you recognised it when you saw it on your computer. What are the chances of this happening.!
All the best
Sonjia.
Una entranyable història i curiosa, a la vegada. Potser son la veritable ànima d'aquells carrers i esperen rebre les bones visites dels passejants !. : )
ReplyDeleteFelicitats i bona setmana !!.
Sweet cat. That is true.. the cat will simply relocate and find another sun soaked spot to curl up in.
ReplyDeleteLovely cat, he/she looks content and hopefully someone is taking care of him/her, have a nice week.
ReplyDeleteThe cat is beautiful and I like how sits near that special plant.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you share your photos. And I would prefer the concept store...
Happy WW, dear Monica! ❤️😘
That is fascinating! He/she would make a great character for children's book that could be titled, "The adventures of Golden Crowned Cat". Blessings!
ReplyDelete