Monday, July 27, 2026

Silent Stories#2

Statues have a way of finding me. I don't set out to photograph them, yet they appear—in plazas, gardens, and street corners—each with its own silent story. Some are famous, others almost forgotten, but all of them invite a pause. Perhaps they fascinate me because public statues are relatively uncommon back home in Malaysia, so every encounter feels like discovering a small piece of another culture. What began as a simple fascination has become a journey of discovering the stories hidden within these silent works of art. 

Here’s the second encounter in my Silent Stories series — another statue that found me.

Equestrian statue of Louis XIV

The sculpture of King Louis XIV in the Cour Napoléon of the Louvre (near the I.M. Pei Pyramid) is a lead cast replica of an original equestrian statue by Italian Baroque master Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Installed in 2009, this casting was made in 1988 from the original marble masterpiece currently housed at the Palace of Versailles.

Historical Background

In 1665, the young king Louis XIV ("The Sun King") invited Bernini to Paris to design a new facade for the Louvre Palace. While Bernini's architectural designs for the Louvre were ultimately rejected in favor of French classical styles, his portrait bust of the king was a massive success, leading the king to commission an equestrian statue.

The Saga of the Original Statue

Bernini did not finish the equestrian statue until 1677, years after he left Paris. When Louis XIV finally viewed the completed piece, he hated it. He ordered it destroyed, but was persuaded instead to have it relegated to the grounds of Versailles. He later commissioned French sculptor François Girardon to "fix" the statue. Girardon modified the king's facial features, changed the mane, and altered the context so the sculpture depicted the Roman hero Marcus Curtius sacrificing himself, rather than Louis XIV. Today, the modified original remains on display at the Palace of Versailles in the Orangerie.

58 comments:

  1. I'm happy these statues find you! This is another beautiful one and the story of it is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another interesting and beautiful one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautifully detailed statue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an immense amount of work goes into creating such a thing, and then the king could just blithely order it destroyed. Glad the original survived in this case.

    It's curious that statues in the old days so often depicted leaders on horseback. I suppose the modern equivalent would be a statue of a politician riding in a car, but we don't seem to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. É muito linda e parecem te perseguir mesmo!
    beijos, chica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I do love this statue, glad it got finished eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a magnificent piece of sculpture!
    It represents a meaningful history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful statue, it looks like it's moving. And there's a lot of legs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is a beautiful statue.
    In the Netherlands, you find many statues, of famous people but also of people who have meant a lot to the Netherlands.
    I wish you a wonderful week.
    All the best, Irma

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is such an interesting back story to the statue! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful statue and back story behind it !
    They don't make those kind of details in statue anymore...
    Have a lovely day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't remember learning that story from when I visited Versailles but that is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. interesting information. thanks for sharing. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea behind this Silent Stories series. Statues really do have a way of connecting us with the past, even when we know nothing about them at first glance. This one has such a fascinating history, especially how a work created for Louis XIV ended up being transformed and given a completely different identity. It’s amazing how much drama and human emotion can be hidden behind a piece of art that simply stands quietly in a public space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the statue is very beautiful. I like statues too. Thank you for the history behind it.
    I wish you a nice week, Veronica!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Incredible! Thank you for sharing the history, we love stuff like this! Happy Tuesday!😻🐾✨🐾😻

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an interesting history of this statue, Veronica. I'm glad the statues find you. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That statue is beautiful and such a story too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A seguir encontrandote estatuas y compartiéndolas. Por fin ya terminada . Me gusta el sitio que le han dado.
    Buena semana Verónica.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Veronica :)
    the statue is a true work of art. It took so long to make and has so much detail, it's really impressive. I'm so pleased it wasn't distroyed and can be seen and admired decades later.Many thanks for sharing the history Veronica.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was quite an interesting story - glad you find them and that they find you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely beautiful statue! So much work and detail.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a fabulous statue. And a great story too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a beautiful, intricate statue! I'm glad it wasn't destroyed. Thanks for the history lesson as well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello again, dear Veronica. When we like something, we discover it on our
    trips, isn't it? Beautiful statue, indeed. I asked myself when I see such beauties,
    our generations what will offer to the next generations?
    Happy WW and a fine Summer!❤️😘

    ReplyDelete
  26. So interesting about the statue, and I am glad it found you :)
    ❤︎ Natalie
    The Muse Photographs Blog and Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am not a big statue person and find it fascinating when people get up in arms about them. There is no one on the face of the earth that would have a statue if they had to stand up to the scrutiny of the some of these get.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you again! Deus caritas est!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post, Veronica. Interesting information about Gianlorenzo Bernini's statue.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful statue and history.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful statue and history.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I find this statue to be quite beautiful and the story behind it very fascinating. How interesting that Louis XIV did not like the statue when it was finished, and hd it altered and fixed by French sculptor François Girardon...and in the end the statue was made to represented a Roman hero sacrificing herself rather than the Sun King himself.

    ReplyDelete
  33. It is also interesting how sometimes places, paintings or sculptures seem to find us and linger in our memory. The same thing happened to me as well...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello Veronica,
    It's funny that you say the statues seek you out instead of the other way around :-) It is true that they stand in many squares, and they are often very large too. Each with its own story/history.
    I didn't know there were so few statues in your home country. This way, I'm learning a bit more about your country as well.

    Kind regards,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm glad this one found you and thank you for the history lesson. Beautiful.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome sculpture and post ~ Hugs ^_^

    ps thanks for commenting on my blog ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  37. Uh oh. Sounds like the sculpture wasn't flattering enough. Silly artists, trying to make things lifelike...

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Una història interessant, darrere de la imatge d'aquesta escultura, m'agrada conèixer-la, gràcies per compartir-la !!.
    Una abraçada i bona setmana !!.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Interesting to learn more about the statue.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you for this interesting history.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello Veronica,
    The statue is beautiful and thanks for sharing the history. Great post. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Las historias que rodean las estatuas tienen mucho que decir. Interesante. Gracias por compartirlo. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  44. So beautiful
    rkrsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. That is a beautifully detailed statue! I never pay much attention to the statues I come across. Maybe I should start!

    ReplyDelete
  46. How interesting! I knew nothing about this statue or the history behind it. It's quite striking.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Bonita estatua, me encantó lo que nos cuentas de ella. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Destroyed? Well, I'm happy THAT didn't happen!

    ReplyDelete