Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, February 27, 2015

Green For Luck

2014 wasn't a great year for me and I'm hoping that 2015 will be a better one. I'm not really into Fengshui and all that Chinese hocus-pocus but I was told that wearing green this Year Of The Sheep will enhance your wealth luck. I could really do with some wealth luck!
Anyway, green is my favourite color and I look really awful in red though wearing red during the Chinese New Year is believed to be auspicious. Ha, maybe that is exactly the reason why I've never had wealth luck for as long as I remember. I don't wear red! Growing up, we wore red every Chinese New Year as it was a family tradition. We were like walking 'ang-pows' !
image credit - http://www.oldshanghaionline.com
Ang-pow literally means "red packet" in Hokkien  and are those lucky red envelopes with money in them that are given out as gifts during festive occasions like weddings, birthdays, and throughout the fifteen days of Chinese New Year. Traditionally, they used to depict images of good luck - blooming flowers for prosperity, school of fish for overflowing wealth each year, children for laughter and happiness, and sail boat for smooth sailing in business and life. But these days, it's not uncommon to see images like angry birds, hello kitty or even Olaf on them! Heck, they are not even red! Why am I not surprised?
image credit - http://www.lelong.com.my
When we were in primary school, we would 'house-hop' for ang-pows during the Chinese New Year. We would go in a group, unsupervised, from house to house in the neighbourhood, on foot and sometimes riding on our bicycles to collect those little red packets from the parents of friends and even from people we barely knew! I guess times have changed. The word 'pedophile' was unheard of then.

Speaking of green, I made this St Paddy's doggy for an extra dose of good luck. Green and shamrocks, how wrong can you go?

6 comments:

  1. That was interesting to read about the Ang-Pow. Something I had not heard of before. Kind of like going trick or treating at Halloween. I'm thinking there wasn't a lot of money in the little envelopes? I don't have anything green in my wardrobe, guess its not going to be a lucky year here. I do hope this year for you is a better one Veronica!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping for a marvelous 2015.
    Wow - no more red envelopes? I guess I'm old fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww that cookie put a big smile on my face! Have I mentioned how much I love reading your blog because I learn so much every time I do? :) You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe that's what we should be doing here to - wearing green! We have had a string of bad luck to.

    My husband lost his job, a few proposals he wrote canceled after the companies put them out there do to them not doing their research, my Step Grandma passed away, my nephew Emerson has needs spinal surgery, and my Dad had heart surgery (he's healing fine). It's just a lot in one month.

    Good things should come to you. Balance is a part of life. thing can only get better when they are so crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen those little red envelopes around on the web. You made me laugh then at your family description. :)

    I like your cookies, and here's to good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by and returning the favor! I love your layout on your blog. Great post.

    ReplyDelete