Thursday, September 8, 2011
Canned food was our staple when we were in college but after one-too-many meals straight from the can, my roommate and I became creative and you'll be surprised at the many ways we could rock a can of sardines! My roommate was Indian and she habitually sprinkled curry powder to everything she cooked - instant ramen, baked beans (it tasted like chili con carne), and even on spam! Some dishes tasted weird but this sardine recipe is really good! The tomato sauce from the canned sardines just blends perfectly with the curry spices. My boys always lick their plates clean whenever I prepare this dish.
1 canned sardines in tomato sauce
2 tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup coconut milk or evaporated milk
2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 cup water
Salt to taste
2tbsps cooking oil
Mix into a thick paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsps curry powder
a few tbsps water
1. Remove sardines from can, retain the tomato sauce. Set aside
2. Heat oil in a wok and stir fry blended mixture until fragrant.
4. Add mustard seeds,coriander seeds and curry paste. Mix well.
5. Add water, the canned sardine’s tomato sauce, tomatoes, and bring to the boil.
6. Lower heat and add in the sardines, cook for 1 min.
7. Add coconut milk and salt and simmer for another minute
8. Dish out, serve hot with rice, bread or paratha
Posted by Veronica Lee at 1:34:00 AM